Hiki clothing

Moderator: Feldjager

SOT(D)

Hiki clothing

Post by SOT(D) »

Not bad... Got the DRK set for my wife, and was really impressed. Pinstripe smock, apron, armband, cap and brooch.
Their sizing options seem to be on target...no problems yet with getting a size 38 chest for me when needing a 50. Fabric is good to, no flimsy muslin this is, sturdy, but heavy cotton, soft when washed. Please...remember to use cold water, and light heat when drying. Most of these overseas manufacturers DO NOT pre-wash fabric before sewing. It will invariably shrink...so, try to control how much it does! This is where having a hunch on this happening, and ordering correctly will keep you from looking like you are wearing Dragon Figure clothes when you take to the field!
The inside selvage is overcast stitched...no seams to sew over yourself, or to unravel on the first washing. Collar is detachable. The garment has a pleated front, two to each side, loops for a waist belt (none with the set though...), and two hip pockets. The front opening consists of two buttons and a snap at the top. I do not know if the original versions had this feature, but is great, for it makes it easy to use the DRK brooch (pin it directly to the collar band, right over the snap closure...gives it a smart look...not all askew from trying to pin over a button !!) The Apron is also of heavy material (...not linen, but, being the made tailor with lots of fabric, I can make one....along with the other pending projects!!!...), with shoulder straps that tie down (not sewn, limiting who can wear it), and pockets, which I had been informed by a DRK collector should be there. The armband is OK, but I have others from Murph"s, which are better. there is also a brooch, and a nurse's cap. The cap has the RC sewn on as an extra piece, which should be embroidered instead...no foul...for playing dress-up, so it is fine. The cap I am unsure of. I believe that the rear of real caps would be in the form of a bag, to get the hair into, for a neat, and anti-septic appearance, with the ties going around and underneath to secure. This is just a flap, no bag. I have a WWI nurses cap, which consists of the front band, and a mesh like fabric bag, obviously for ventilation. I will work on this, to make it right.
Overall, a good set, priced at $130.00 dollars.. a worthwhile investment. If they can start making other Helferin garments, they would rule the roost. Hey, if they could save the original Star Trek for a 3rd season,with a letter writing campaign, who knows...

Got their Gebirgsjaeger Wind Jacket...also nice, but that will be later.
11th RGT/6thSS Nord- 1/508th PIR
1/5thSFG-3/20thSFG-3/11thSFG
-always looking for details on Nord IDs and soldbuchs
SOT(D)

Re: Hiki clothing

Post by SOT(D) »

...oh yeah, the buttons. They are a plain plastic button...whitish/opaque. The button holes are about 5/8s inch in length, which made it easy to replace them with some period German ITO brand, 15mm, pressed paper buttons. They show up from time to time. I found mine, in the States, at Bunker militaria. I am not sure what original DRK smocks would have used, but it would not be to far off base to use them.
11th RGT/6thSS Nord- 1/508th PIR
1/5thSFG-3/20thSFG-3/11thSFG
-always looking for details on Nord IDs and soldbuchs
Halle

Re: Hiki clothing

Post by Halle »

Looking forward to the Windjacke .. :wink:
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”