SM Wholesale Low boots - a word of warning.

Moderator: Feldjager

GraemeMac

SM Wholesale Low boots - a word of warning.

Post by GraemeMac »

One of the chaps in our group brought a pair of SMW lowboots back from the states this year. They look a nice pair of boots, and in general they are well constructed, stitched in the correct places and fully pegged.

However....
The boots have been hobnailed with the same alloy twin prong hobnails sturm use, and that ATF sell. While these wear rapidly, if fitted properly they are generally ok. To fit them properly requires two small side by side pilot holes to start the two prongs. On hammering into the leather sole, these prongs should split, anchoring the hobnail into the leather. What SMW have done, is use a single hole, and hammer them in. With some use they fall straight back out leaving gaping holes.

I had some limited success packing the holes wih some cut down wooden pegs, and hammering the nails back in. In some cases i had to plug the hole and re apply a new hobnail. I can foresee having to remove the current half soles and pegging another in place due to this.

Not good. Be warned.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
Halle

Re: SM Wholesale Low boots - a word of warning.

Post by Halle »

Thanks for the info GraemeMac ...... I still say the Czech stuff's the best 8)
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

Yes, they are.

The smw's are well put together otherwise. Once resoled with a new half sole and decent nails, they will be lovely.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
Johnny_BoomBoom2000

Post by Johnny_BoomBoom2000 »

I am said boot owner.....and Graeme did a great job on fixing the boots. I have to admit otherwise t he boots are pretty good.....just so happened I was in LA on business and got in touch with SMW so I could go get the boots personally....saved a lot on shipping and taxes.....but seems a lot of that saving will no doubt go into getting Graeme to sort them out properly - might get another season out of them as is....

In the long run....perhaps a slightly false economy....but, they are a reasonably good pair of boots (really comfy). My only other criticism is that the tongue in the boots isn't up to much!

As far as I know the boots are actually made in Mexico....and shipped to SMW in LA for onward sale and distribution!

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”