Splinter uniforms - how common, how often?

Moderator: Feldjager

askhati

Splinter uniforms - how common, how often?

Post by askhati »

Spotted a few old pics of Germans in Splinter tunics, M40-43 pattern, and it got me thinking: how often were these custom-tailored garments seen, and what was the prerogative for wearing/fielding one? For officers, I can imagine it well - since they had more uniform leeway - and for snipers it also makes sense, given their greater freedom when it came to camouflage and such. Does anyone have any other info on these garments though?

(talking specifically about the tunics and trousers modeled after the M40-43 tunics and M37-43 trousers, not the winter/reversible over-suits)
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
Olly

Re: Splinter uniforms - how common, how often?

Post by Olly »

Certainly the exception rather than the rule. Snipers didn't really differ from
any other enlisted rank, not the pay or the rank to widely acquire custom uniforms.
Stick with field grey and a zelt, can't go wrong.
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Snipers would use what they could get their hands on, what would be more realistic is a home made splinter jacket made from a Zelt or something, also other forms of camo was used, but a custom made tunic was more reserved for officers.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
grenmartens

Post by grenmartens »

Olly wrote:Certainly the exception rather than the rule. Snipers didn't really differ from
any other enlisted rank, not the pay or the rank to widely acquire custom uniforms.
Stick with field grey and a zelt, can't go wrong.
This is the best advice you'll get on your question. Way too many Heer re-enactors wearing camo garments - aim for a 'common and typical' impression and you won't go far wrong - that means field-grey wool NOT splinter pyjamas!
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

Oberleutnant Ulrich wrote:what would be more realistic is a home made splinter jacket made from a Zelt or something,
Do you have examples of these home made sniper jackets?
In line with the other posters I think what would be most realistic would be no custom clothing, just field grey and zeltbahns.
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

I have only seen the odd picture of officers with bespoke splinter tunics. Use of any camo garments in the Heer was very rarely seen, even in elite units.
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
Oberleutnant

Post by Oberleutnant »

Olly wrote:Certainly the exception rather than the rule. Snipers didn't really differ from any other enlisted rank, not the pay or the rank to widely acquire custom uniforms. Stick with field grey and a zelt, can't go wrong.
In terms of Snipers they were issued with Splinter smocks to wear over their Field grey tunic. However it bore down to the snipers personal preference and what surroundings he was in.

Snipers could differ heavily from the norm if needs be.

Detailed well in sniper variations of the German K98k Rifle by Richard D Law page 143 lists the standard issued equipment. (1 Tarnjacke, camouflage jacket)
Wir Fahren Gegen Engelland

PanzerGrenadier (Driver)
902 Panzer Lehr
Olly

Post by Olly »

They wore what every other Heer soldier wore, if the supply situation allowed they might get a splinter or Sumph smock. But if we are portraying the average sniper then field gray is the safest way to go.
Oberleutnant

Post by Oberleutnant »

Actually the average sniper portrayal especially late war would have a smock of some sorts. They were allowed and would Taylor to things to their needs.

They were issued these because the OKW saw the the sniper as a key area to develop as the war progressed. They went from a non existent entity at the wars beginning to a real strong core and well trained.

The sad problem with photos of the snipers are a lot are posed propaganda shots or training shots and a lot contain the splinter smock which shows the usage and issue to snipers.

Sniper's equipment, 1943-1945

Snipers recieved normal Infantry equipment. On top of that they recieved the following specialized equipment:

1 Rifle with telescopic sights, sight cover and case. This could be either a K98 with sniper buttplate and safety, or later on a G43.

1 Pair of binoculars, 6x30

1 K98k winter trigger

90 rounds of special sniper's ammunition, accurized

1 Mosquito net

1 Tropical waistbelt

1 Compass

1 Sniper smock w/ camouflage net (does not say helmet net: could be face veil)

1 Folding spade

1 Fighting knife

Equipment made by the soldier during training:

1 Forked stick used as a rifle rest

Camouflage lens covers for scope and binoculars

1 Back net for adding foliage

1 Camouflage face mask

Coloured and white cloth rifle wraps for camouflaging rifle and scope

2 Mirrors to make a trench periscope

1 Notebook with training notes and tricks

1 Rifle adjustment tool

Rope and nails for creating camouflage and deception devices

Not from an official source, but photographs show wool gloves being used as well to camouflage the hands.

This is pretty much the standard look for the late war sniper: (Bruno sutkus)

http://axissnipercollective.proboards.c ... &thread=10
Wir Fahren Gegen Engelland

PanzerGrenadier (Driver)
902 Panzer Lehr
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Hey, you copied my post!

I have never seen a sniper in a camo tunic. Field made smocks were quite common. There was only one standard issue sniper smock and that was the hooded sumpftarn smock. Any issue of splinter smocks (which were quite rare anyway!) would have been at the local CO's discretion. For a late war impression I wouldn't recommend a splinter smock for a sniper. For a mid war impression, maybe a field made one.
Olly

Post by Olly »

Surly would just be better off with a zelt, field made smocks are super rare, any photos?
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

I based mine on a description in "Im augen des Jägers". Often you can't tell wether something is field made or not, if it resembles an issue pattern.

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”