Arm Shield

Moderator: Feldjager

soest

Arm Shield

Post by soest »

Kameraden,

I have a photo in a book about the Liebstandarte (Spearhead nr. 5 page 69) where British soldiers in Normandy are examining what appears to be an M40 tunic belonging to an Unterschar of the LAH. The left sleeve is uppermost. Clearly visible is the LAH cuffband and an earlier pointed shoulder board with the LAH monogram and litzen. Above the sleeve eagle is a shield such as those awarded for actions such as Demyansk etc. The shield isn't particularly clear in the photo but I think going by the shape its possibly a Crimea shield. Do any of you guys know if any LAH troops were awarded shields and if so do you know which ones?

Danke.

Soest
dixiedrummer

Re: Arm Shield

Post by dixiedrummer »

Most likely the Krim Shield from the '41-'42 Russian campaign. I highly doubt it is any other one. The LAH was the only SS division in the Crimea area, so that would make sense. There weren't any SS troops at Narva, and only the TK division was at Demyansk.
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

I know the picture your talking about. Appears quite regulalrly in uniform books. In some it looks as if the shield isn't even sewn on to the sleeve and has simply been placed there for the photo. Will have a look through my reference books later.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

soest

Post by soest »

Thanks guys.

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”