schnurschuhe, low boots

Moderator: Feldjager

woestijnvoske

schnurschuhe, low boots

Post by woestijnvoske »

Hi everbody,

I have been looking for decent schnurschuhe/low boots for a long time. Enough people who make them, but wich ones are the best? I do have to say that I am a student, and dont have a lot of money, but I really need decent schnurschuhe now.
My last pair was from SOF, and see the pics of the results after one weekend. They were greased in and all...
Halle

Re: schnurschuhe, low boots

Post by Halle »

Hi Wostijnvoske ,
There's been a discussion about this recently , and probably since the forum began - it's all about how much you want to spend - Joky , €230 , superb , last you a life time - SOF - £60 ? One event ( I'd expect more than one event for £60 mind ) . You're a student , so you're poor , have a look on the forum for some ideas , but at the end of the day , you get what you pay for ,

Good luck , let us know how you get on :D
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Jeez! How far did you march in your single weekend!? :o As the previous poster says, £60/70 is at the cheap end of the price range for boots but I would still expect them to hold up better than that - they look like they have been worn for weeks!

I've only ever had two pairs since I've been reenacting, first pair was £120 and second pair was £170, and with regular oiling/dubbin they have lasted me 9 years now! (I keep the first pair as a spare now after one of the Dutch lads re-soled and nailed them in the fashion of a field repair...

First pair were Polish and second pair Czech, both via Richard Underwood. Boots are the one thing I wouldn't "economise" on as they are vital.
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
woestijnvoske

Post by woestijnvoske »

Pug42 wrote:Jeez! How far did you march in your single weekend!? :o As the previous poster says, £60/70 is at the cheap end of the price range for boots but I would still expect them to hold up better than that - they look like they have been worn for weeks!

I've only ever had two pairs since I've been reenacting, first pair was £120 and second pair was £170, and with regular oiling/dubbin they have lasted me 9 years now! (I keep the first pair as a spare now after one of the Dutch lads re-soled and nailed them in the fashion of a field repair...

First pair were Polish and second pair Czech, both via Richard Underwood. Boots are the one thing I wouldn't "economise" on as they are vital.
I don't even dare to say how much i walked... Even my sturm boots held up better than that.
I contacted Joky via this forum, is he a quick replier? I'll try to save up my money for some descend boots now, I learned my lesson.
Thanks for the advice guys :)
Mooyman

Post by Mooyman »

Allez,woestijnvoske.
Save some money for quality czech lowboots 8) ..wich are around 200 euro's.

Another option can be that Svec resole sturmboots...

The best repro is an original...
woestijnvoske

Post by woestijnvoske »

I have placed an order here by recommendation of erikbozwo2:
http://www.damnlol.com/fedex-troll-mechanics-21169.html

only I have to wait for 4-5 months :(
Rudolf Ochse

Post by Rudolf Ochse »

Guess you pasted the wrong link but lol:P
3./Pz.Gren.Rgt.60 - Der Windhund
woestijnvoske

Post by woestijnvoske »

lol, sorry :D :D

Here is the correct one:
http://www.lederarsenal.com/en/pages/ba ... ht-199.php
Halle

Post by Halle »

I have seen the pre war marching boots he does and they are truly excellent - I'm certain you won't be disappointed :D
feuerwerker

Post by feuerwerker »

You can't go wrong with buying high end, quality foot wear!!! I have been doing Living History since 2000 and had I known then what I know now, I would have put every last penny I had into a pair of Good Boots!!

I ordered a pair of Low Boots from Jan Berger last fall (email: j.h.berger@lederarsenal.com ) They were totally worth the money and the wait!!! They are ridiculously comfortable to wear, fit properly and if I take care of them, they will be still be around after I have turned to dust.

Just my two cents.
Halle

Post by Halle »

Feuerwerker ,
It's essential that people relate their experiences of this sort of thing - the worst scenario would be decent producers going out of business because people " think they're too expensive " , and we end up with just the s**t left . High end producers should be supported wherever possible , in the end the products are more accurate and last far longer .
Rudolf Ochse

Post by Rudolf Ochse »

So once you have lederarsenal boots or other high end boots, whats the best way of taking care? Ofcourse you use leather products, but do you have to keep everything supple? Like totally cover it in the polish/cream? Or only some parts? I can imagine that the sole has to be super supple?
3./Pz.Gren.Rgt.60 - Der Windhund
Halle

Post by Halle »

My half boots and Bergschue ( both Jakub ) were treated with Lederbalsam ( koutny advises this too ) , the leather absorbs it and remains supple - the leather laces on my half boots are the original pair ( 7 yrs old ) . It is essential to keep the soles supple too , treat them the same as the uppers , or the leather will dry out , you'll lose nails and at worst the sole will crack . Initially , I cleaned and covered my boots with every use , often applying balsam three or four times , the leather should continue to absorb it . Now of course they need slightly fewer applications , but I still keep them clean and " well oiled" :twisted: Both my boots have gone from an almost yellow natural leather to a darker shade of brown , and regular polishing with a brush and cream cleaner brings on a slight shine to the toes .

If your boots are to be blackened , well , apply the product(s) to blacken them , and keep doing it as above .

There is no reason why your boots cannot last a lifetime of reenacting :D
Johnny_BoomBoom2000

Post by Johnny_BoomBoom2000 »

woestijnvoske wrote:Hi everbody,

I have been looking for decent schnurschuhe/low boots for a long time. Enough people who make them, but wich ones are the best? I do have to say that I am a student, and dont have a lot of money, but I really need decent schnurschuhe now.
My last pair was from SOF, and see the pics of the results after one weekend. They were greased in and all...

i gotta admit, my purchases have been to a budget ,and one thing I've been thinking about is a decent quality pair of schnurschuhe, but in the meantime I've went with Epic. My first pair bought from them had the soles splitting after a 2 day show (Blyth Battery), I emailed them and sent them pics and they agreed to swap them out for a new pair - a pain as I'd blacked them nicely, but as the show was mostly grassy areas with little hardstanding, I was happy to have them swapped out FOC.

The replacement pair lasted the rest of last season and are still going strong, although I have a few nails to put back in....

To be honest if I were you, I'd contact SOF about the boots you bought....as, they clearly weren't 'fit for purpose' intended. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 2004 in the UK states:-

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/35/section/1

which is probably a good place to start!
woestijnvoske

Post by woestijnvoske »

Johnny_BoomBoom2000 wrote:
woestijnvoske wrote:Hi everbody,

i gotta admit, my purchases have been to a budget ,and one thing I've been thinking about is a decent quality pair of schnurschuhe, but in the meantime I've went with Epic. My first pair bought from them had the soles splitting after a 2 day show (Blyth Battery), I emailed them and sent them pics and they agreed to swap them out for a new pair - a pain as I'd blacked them nicely, but as the show was mostly grassy areas with little hardstanding, I was happy to have them swapped out FOC.

The replacement pair lasted the rest of last season and are still going strong, although I have a few nails to put back in....

To be honest if I were you, I'd contact SOF about the boots you bought....as, they clearly weren't 'fit for purpose' intended. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 2004 in the UK states:-

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/35/section/1

which is probably a good place to start!
I was planning to go to the SOF stand in Ciney in Belgium, and show them my boots and ask for a swap, or even a money-back.

thanks for the advice :)

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”