So, the tale of the Waffen-SS parka.

Moderator: Feldjager

Langnasen

So, the tale of the Waffen-SS parka.

Post by Langnasen »

I've been after one for years, but up until recently the only ones available were made of rayon/nylon...even the ATF one! Suprisingly some real ones were made of rayon but no thanks, puffa-jacket do not want!

Then I found one advertised on a UK site and it looked more real than a real one. I sent a link to my wife as a xmas-prezzie idea and got it on xmas day as hoped. Opened it...W...T...living...F?! Well constructed and accurately so too, but the colours and pattern? The pattern was iffy enough but the colours?! It looked like somebody at Topshop design HQ had had a bad day. Jet black and two shades of very pale beige. Vomit.

I emailed the guy and he said ok to return it for a refund. But I couldn't understand how the item I had bore as much resemblance to the picture on his website as a pig to a wolf, so I went investigating.
I eventually found the same picture on Spearhead Militaria's ebay operation, emailed Barry and asked for clarification. His picture, UK guy was using it without his permission, ebay pic was pic of actual item and he said he'd email me additional pics as proof.
After many days of to-and-fro emails all I got were pics of trousers and finally silence. Bizarre.

Meanwhile I was on the UK guy's ass, requiring a refund of return-postage costs too. And advised him to sack his web guy for using a stolen picture, falsely representing the item and causing me xmas trauma ( :lol: ), wasted time and considerable ire.
And apparently the UK item had been got from CHINA! Wow, quelle suprise. That explains why it looked like something the dog brought up. Dunno where Barry gets his stuff, but judging by his failure to send pictures one may surmise that his website picture is bogus too and he gets his parkas from the same outfit as the UK guy.

I've had everything refunded by the UK guy, which is why I'm not naming him. Let's assume he was a victim of a dodgy website manager/builder. The bogus picture has also been removed from his site.

Meanwhile I've ordered a parka from Panther Stores and have been told by David it should be done in three weeks. Does anyone have one of his parkas? How is it? The only worry I have is the lining is "unwoven material", so I'm hoping that doesn't mean it'll all collapse between the two exterior layers over time and gather up in a lump around the hem. We shall see. If it does I'll whip it out.

Phew! :lol:
GraemeMac

Re: So, the tale of the Waffen-SS parka.

Post by GraemeMac »

The lining in Panther store parka's is wool blanket, like it should be. Mine is great. Not as warm as my sm kharkov parka however.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
Langnasen

Post by Langnasen »

Sweet! Cheers Graeme. Any chance of some pics?
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

Not sure if this link will work, if not ill sort it in the morning. I'm on the left, panther store top and bottom, brand new back then. Now very dirty!
Last edited by GraemeMac on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
askhati

Post by askhati »

So... Moral of the story: Panther is king? Good to know for future purchases, thanks for sharing.
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
Langnasen

Post by Langnasen »

GraemeMac wrote:Not sure if this link will work, if not ill sort it in the morning. I'm on the left, panther store top and bottom, brand new back then. Now very dirty!
http://m827.photobucket.com/albumview/a ... html?o=124
Cheers Graeme, it works but a bit tiny. 8) Do you have any pics of the camo side? A bit bigger and closer? :lol:

How do you find the size? I've ordered the largest one (I'm 6' 6") and hope the cuffs won't be around my elbows. Some makers are generous with the sizing, some are kechi.
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

Langnasen wrote:
GraemeMac wrote:Not sure if this link will work, if not ill sort it in the morning. I'm on the left, panther store top and bottom, brand new back then. Now very dirty!
http://m827.photobucket.com/albumview/a ... html?o=124
Cheers Graeme, it works but a bit tiny. 8) Do you have any pics of the camo side? A bit bigger and closer? :lol:

How do you find the size? I've ordered the largest one (I'm 6' 6") and hope the cuffs won't be around my elbows. Some makers are generous with the sizing, some are kechi.
Order one to your required size? That's what I did, he makes everything to order. I do.t have any other pictures, but I will repost that picture in a bigger format when I get to a pc.
Langnasen

Post by Langnasen »

GraemeMac wrote:
Order one to your required size? That's what I did, he makes everything to order. I do.t have any other pictures, but I will repost that picture in a bigger format when I get to a pc.
I saw no "custom size" option in the drop-down menu, though there are a couple of fields for chest, waist and height (whatever that means).

Bearing in mind the originals were designed to go over field gear etc, so I'd expect the largest size to fit ok, it's intended for a 190cm-tall person (I'm 195cm) with a 49" chest (I'm 44").

Think I'll email him my arm length. :lol:
Hustedt

Post by Hustedt »

We recommend Panther Store for winter garments, as they're the most authentic when it comes to material and print.. They can help you out with the size if you can't figure out which one to select (I recommend that).
SM Wholesale uses different materials for their winter garments and in general they're not worth the price asked.. So to speak.
Langnasen

Post by Langnasen »

That's good to know, thanks Hustedt. :)

I've emailed Panther re my sizing.
Langnasen

Post by Langnasen »

Email from Panther, the sleeves on the largest size are 26" long, which is bang-on for me. :)
Hustedt

Post by Hustedt »

Kein Problem, Kamerad ;)
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

Editted and added full size picture.
dagda

Post by dagda »

Hustedt wrote:We recommend Panther Store for winter garments, as they're the most authentic when it comes to material and print.. They can help you out with the size if you can't figure out which one to select (I recommend that).
SM Wholesale uses different materials for their winter garments and in general they're not worth the price asked.. So to speak.
That depends what you want! We use Panther store jump smocks for instance, but a lot of our unit have SM winter kit, IMHo both manufacturers are good. Both use blanket lining and the prints are very good. The winter trousers differ slightly as the Panther store ones are based on an earlier design, look at the reversed white side and look at the pockets. Yes SM stuff is dearer, but its horses for courses. I would recommend both manufacturers. The earlier Czech manufacturer(not panther store) who supplied Richard Underwood a few years back with all types of camo reversable stuff was fantastic and thier sumpf pattern was superb. In the end of the day, its reproduction accuracy and the research done that drives what we recommend in our unit not price. Do it right, do it once or dont bother at all, my tuppence worth.
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

Langnasen

Post by Langnasen »

GraemeMac wrote:Editted and added full size picture.
Thanks Graeme, looks good. :)

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”