Original panzer sidecap, GJ ski cap, RAD sidecap

Moderator: Feldjager

Sean

Original panzer sidecap, GJ ski cap, RAD sidecap

Post by Sean »

Browsing a local antique shop earlier, I came across three original caps. All in good nick with no mot holes. The GJ cap had the embroidered insignia on the side, and the panzer side hat had the early type pink soutache (sp?)

The only item I saw priced was the GJ bergmutze just over £500. What is the consensus on the prices?

There was also a RAD shovel, it appeared to have been a ceromonial type with a plaque etc.
'Gott Mitt Uns' - Yeah mate, got mittens too
Brigardefuhrer

Re: Original panzer sidecap, GJ ski cap, RAD sidecap

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Regimentals has an army M43 cap for £635 and a bergmutze for £1,250.These things are best seen in hand and remember janke makes some very good copys,the shovel is most probabley a presentation piece.Antique shops some times do still come up with some "sleepers",like I did recently.John
Adlers.jpg
Adlers.jpg (135.89 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Hi John,

Many thanks for the advice. I'm definately going to take a closer look. Having not seen janke bergmutze, do they have any particular manufacturer details on the inside I could look for?
'Gott Mitt Uns' - Yeah mate, got mittens too
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Janke doe's not always put the same maker in his caps and if you check out UK stockist James Brown http://www.extraklasse.co.uk
He does'nt show the interiors on his bergmutze and M43 caps,but you can get an idea of the construction.Also check out wehrmacht awards forum cap section(use the search function to find older threads).
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

All good advice from the man. You won't find makers marks in them of the kind you get with private purchase visor caps. Most are gov issue.
Def check the waf site. Brilliant for any collecting. Also invest in books like Michael beavers 'cloth headgear of the third reich.'
Worth spending a bit on books rather than a load on a copy. You can get bergs for that price but be sure to get a refund if not happy guarantee.
If the dealer is cosher ask take take some pics, and them to hold it for a few days. Post the pics in the cloth headgear section of the waf an you'll get a yey or may very quickly from a friendly crowd who know what they're talking about. I use it all the time for my stuff. If the dealer says no walk away.
Happy hunting!
Or just buy this damn fine example.
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... p?t=603619

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”