German short boots

Moderator: Feldjager

durhamtrooper

German short boots

Post by durhamtrooper »

Can anyone please tell me the best way to colour a replica pair of German low boots black?
GraemeMac

Re: German short boots

Post by GraemeMac »

The orthentic way is to use vinegar and steel wire wool - causing a chemical reaction which turns the leather black. Realistically, nip to your local cobbler/timpsons and pick up a tub or dylon or leather dye, in black, and use that. After that, oil or dubbin, sorted.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
Johnny_BoomBoom2000

Post by Johnny_BoomBoom2000 »

I skipped the vinegar and wire wool and went

Dylon;
Polish;
Dubbin

Did the trick!
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

:shock: wire wool and vinegar???
If you want your boots to start rotting away from the acidic qualities of vinegar, have fun buying new footwear.
There is no shortcut to getting a pair of neutral leather boots black, it was done by daily use and lots of dubbing and?or polish.
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

John Wilson wrote::shock: wire wool and vinegar???
If you want your boots to start rotting away from the acidic qualities of vinegar, have fun buying new footwear.
There is no shortcut to getting a pair of neutral leather boots black, it was done by daily use and lots of dubbing and?or polish.
The Vinegar way is not that good
ImageImageImageImageImage
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

You underestimate the chemical resitance qualities of leather. Decent leather hide is tough stuff. Hence why it has a history of use for aprons, safety footwear, etc....

It won't rot your leather. Soaking the wirewool in vinegar for some time, then rubbing the leather down with the wire wool is an accepted means of blacking leather. It's not as easy or effective as dye, but it works.
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

If you want black boots, polish them with black boot polish.
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

GraemeMac wrote:

You underestimate the chemical resitance qualities of leather. Decent leather hide is tough stuff. Hence why it has a history of use for aprons, safety footwear, etc....

It won't rot your leather. Soaking the wirewool in vinegar for some time, then rubbing the leather down with the wire wool is an accepted means of blacking leather. It's not as easy or effective as dye, but it works.
You're talking nonsense son. vinegar is an acid, it will rot leather.
(I worked as a shoe repairer/cobbler/schüster) for many years.
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

That's right, i forgot last time I asked for vinegar on my chips at the chippy it took the skin right off my hands! :roll:

Yes, vinegar is a weak acid solution, but it will do **** all to the leather on your boots other than discolour it. Someone who's worked with shoes(and presumably leather...), should know/understand the properties of leather.

You're obviously not willing to listen, which is fine. The OP asked how to black boots, I gave two methods. Both work.

http://www.dererstezug.com/blackeningboots.htm
durhamtrooper

Post by durhamtrooper »

Thanks for the info :)
Ill leave the Vinegar for my chips! :lol:
nilznl

Post by nilznl »

The vinegar and wire wool / metal shavings method of producing a dye has actually been around for hundreds of years and it was used on wood as well as leather.
Botty

Post by Botty »

wire wool and vinegar???
In that case why does immersion in peat bogs, an acidic environment, produce perfectly preserved leather? In fact 'tanning' of leather comes from the use of tannic acid in the process of turning hides into leather. Guess what? Tannic acid is an acid.

Using the vinegar/wire wool approach will be authentic and cause no harm to your boots. It also wont colour them as well as black polish.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
m1steelpot

Post by m1steelpot »

They had dyes as well as cream/paste and wax polishes in the 1940's.

WW2 was not some archaic pre industrial period, they had blackening compounds and so on. I'd suggest using the dye.
STEIGE AUS DEM BETT, DREH' DEN SWAG AUFFFFFF
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Right ive cleaned this up the OP asked a valid question and deserves an honest and usefull answer not a private argument which if you wish to continue please do it by PM, e-mail or face to face.
And to both combatants i dont care what the trouble is between you and i dont want to know so dont bombard me with PM,s over it because they will be ignored.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Some of these modern vinegar is more acidic than the older stuff and is not that good for the stitching of the boots . And before some one reminds me of Bottys post there are different types of acid I have used over the years the Black leaderfett and my boots look OK . On the first few times you use it I would rub it in with your hands as the warmth of your hands will melt the lederfett and it will soak in to the leather better
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”