Gavin Militaria and Soldier of Fortune officer's comparison

Moderator: Feldjager

Guderian

Gavin Militaria and Soldier of Fortune officer's comparison

Post by Guderian »

In December 2003, I bought an officer's tunic from Soldier of Fortune. This tunic is still available from them, but I undertsand they are now downsizing their stock of this line and now only odd sizes are available. The quality of the garmet was very good. I paid £185.00 (or €263.63 at the then, rate of exchange). What made this a good tunic was that the tricot wool matched the officer's cap they sold. Great if you want to badge it up as Wehrmacht (green velvet band on the cap), not so great if you want an SS impression.

Earlier this month, I bought an officer's tunic from Gavin Militaria via eBay. I paid for the garment on the 31st July 2012 and it took two e-mails and a threat to seek a refund to finally get a tracking number from him. The tunic finally arrived on Monday 20th August 2012. Despite this, he was quick enough to respond to my e-mails. His responses, although apologetic, I found meaningless. He never mentioned at any time prior to entering into the contract that there would be at least a week between payment and actual postage.

Be warned though, don't expect a large box with your garment neatly folded and lavishly wrapped in bubble wrap, my tunic arrived in this..

Needless to say it was in a million creases.

I took the advice from this forum and bought a size up. I bought a Size "44 inches even though a Size "42 is more my size. The tunic does have a slim fit and in my case it fits quite well. Had I ordered a medium I would probably have had to send it back.

The Fabric

The weave is tricot and is identical to that of the Soldier of Fortune (SoF) one. However, the wool is much thinner and appears a little rougher. Although on closer inspection, it's just a different, slightly lower quality, thinner wool. The SoF one is a thicker wool, yet a finer wool blend. The Gavin Militaria tunic is a lot lighter, but this could be an advantage to a re-enactor. It certaintly doesn't look lighter and a man on a galloping horse is not going to notice.

The Colour

Most officers' tunics were private purchase and the colour often differed widely. The SoF tunic is a greener shade of green/grey where as the Gavin Militaria one is definitley more grey. I took some photos in the sunlight to show the contrast.

The one on the left is the SoF one.

Construction

There are of course differences in the construction of both tunics. One fault which always annoyed me about the SoF tunic was that the seams on the shoulders were too far forward as demonstrated in this photo...

No mistakes made with the Gavin Militaria tuinc though...

The collars on both tuincs are identical in size and shape save that the SoF one is of far superior quality. Firstly, the wool is much thicker and contains both stands and stiffners throughout. The collar on the Gavin Militaria one only has a plastic stand (the bit that goes around your neck) but nothing in the falls of the collars.

The collar width on both tunics are identical at 7cm.

Gavin Militaria

SoF

The French cuff lengths are identical also at 15.5cms as are the lower pockets at 21cms. The SoF breast pockets are slightly longer by 0.5cm but their widths are the same at 13.5cms each. The Gavin Militaria tunic is slightly shorter, depending on what size you order, by about 1.5 cms (in direct comparison). The Gavin Militaria tunic is a six button tunic while the SoF one is a five button one with painted buttons.

The buttons themselves are reasonably good quality on both tunics save the fact that the SoF tunics have their buttons sewn into the fabric fold (i.e. you can't see the stiching inside the tunic, unlike the Gavin Militaria one).

Gavin Militaria

The lower pockets on both tunics differ slightly in that the SoF pockets are complete bellow pockets sewn on to the tunic front, where as the Gavin Militaria pockets are front sided only.

SoF

Gavin Militaria

The lining on the SoF tunic is quilted across the upper breast and it has a lot of shoulder padding. In contrast the Gavin Militaria tunic has very little shoulder padding and has what appears to be a thin layer of inter-lining across the upper breast.

The Gavin Militaria tunic comes with two spare buttons, no insignia and a sword hanger.

The Gavin Militaria tunic is light, there is no doubt, but it's NOT the usual rubbish that comes out of China. Some of you will remember the polyester rubbish sold by Keith Hong Kong some years ago; with a sheen that made you look like a ringmaster in a circus, well Gavin Militaira are a millions miles away from that. The stiching in his tunic is good quality, the buttons are reasonable, the general look of the tunic is very good indeed. It is a bit light and the collars could do with improvement, but for £82.00 (€104.00) inclusive of postage, you can't go wrong. I recommend this tunic.

Guderian
Brigardefuhrer

Re: Gavin Militaria and Soldier of Fortune officer's compari

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

I have both types of tunic,I spoke to Pete of SOF over a year ago as to whether he was going to restock the officers tunic and he told me no as the outlay to have them made was too great.I have a size 38 and these tunics are long fitting,I'm just over 6 foot tall and long arms and it fits ok,I did change the buttons.I have a Gavin generals uniform in medium and again it fits well,here is my SOF tunic.
DSC_0034.jpg
DSC_0034.jpg (122.44 KiB) Viewed 4862 times
John
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Guderian

Post by Guderian »

Hi John,

Thanks for that. It's a beautiful looking uniform. Do you mind if I ask where you got your cap from. Looks like a matching cloth to the tunic.

By the way, is that Manfred Thorn you're standing beside?

Kind regards,

Guderian
Ohmhagen

Post by Ohmhagen »

Hi John
thanks for an very interesting report. The one you got from SoF looks absolutely the same like my one, which i got from Chen (ANTZ).

rgds
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Hi.The cap is made by Janke,which I got through a german dealer a few years ago now when I used to go to Belgium with Doug Preece.James Brown of Extra Klasse can get them in the UK.I'm sold on Janke now,well worth the money,I've had two Robert Lubstein/Erel caps,which are not bad for the money but not a patch on Janke,in fact I recently sold them.Yes that is Manfred,who I have known quite a few years now.
Here is my latest Janke 'crusher',my old Nayer Austrian copy crusher is looking tired and and there is no knap left on the cloth after over twentyfive years of regular use.
cap 003.jpg
cap 003.jpg (99.71 KiB) Viewed 4822 times
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Ohmhagen wrote:Hi John
thanks for an very interesting report. The one you got from SoF looks absolutely the same like my one, which i got from Chen (ANTZ).

rgds
Thanks but the main very detailed report is from Guderian.The SOF tunics were made in Pakistan and must admit quality wise slightly better than the Chinese ones.
Nathan Bedford Forest.

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”