Insignia for Drillich Uniform

Moderator: Feldjager

Kurt Schulte

Insignia for Drillich Uniform

Post by Kurt Schulte »

Greetings, I am putting together a GD HBT uniform and could use some guidance on the insignia, most notably the Rank insignia. I have a 42' tunic and it is for a 42 impression. Now Im going to go on the guess that all insignia on these uniforms were not HBT backed. Was it more common to see wool back embroidered insignia on HBT's? or was HBT used a lot for insignia. I am using Green wool shoulder boards and plan to get a "M40" BeVo eagle, or would the 36 green and white be a better choice. I know it is six one, half dozen of the other here, but what would be the best way to go?
Obergefreiter Kurt Schulte
2Kp. Großdeutschland
Ohio USA
conrad uno

Re: Insignia for Drillich Uniform

Post by conrad uno »

i've got a GD badged HBT tunic - its got a late war bevo eagle and wool shoulder boards - that's it. I made the mistake of adding an Oberschutze patch because it was linen backed, but i've since found out that's it's a DAK olive green patch :oops: I don't think cuff titles, wool backed or bevo, were used on summer tunics...

cheers
Kurt Schulte

Post by Kurt Schulte »

No from all of my research cuff titles were not worn on Drillich uniforms, does the same go for rank insignia?
2Kp. Großdeutschland
Ohio USA
dixiedrummer

Post by dixiedrummer »

Are you referring to the Drillich or the 4 pocket hbt uniform? The drillich, by regulation, used no insignia except for chevrons. Obviously, you see men with additional patch pockets and full insignia, but that's far from regulation. If you have the 4 pocket, I would go with collar patches and a chevron if you rank that, nothing else.
Kurt Schulte

Post by Kurt Schulte »

Yeah maybe I wasn't clear on that, 4 pocket, M42 Model HBT tunic. Not the 2 pocket Drill uniform.
2Kp. Großdeutschland
Ohio USA
Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Four Pocket HBTs were only a temporary issue item - i.e. stores issued them in the summer (if you were lucky enough to get them - most units went without) and they were to be returned to stores at the end of the season - so it was not a personal issue item that you were supposed to add insignia to (apart from shoulder boards) - they just came with factory applied eagle and litzen. In not even sure that Gefreiters were supposed to add chevrons...

(As mentioned above, 2 pocket drillich jackets were supposed to have chevrons, but unlike the 4 pocket HBTs the 2 pocket ones were personal issue.)

However rules are there to be broken and you do sometime see photos (especially of NCOs/Officers where they have presumably "forgotten"(!) to return their 4 pocket HBTs to stores and customised them with Officers insignia or NCOs tresse etc......
Kurt Schulte

Post by Kurt Schulte »

Excellent advice, thank you. Going on the "Reenacting the norm, not the exception" I will add a breast eagle, litzen, with the boards and call it done.
2Kp. Großdeutschland
Ohio USA
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

Kurt,

any photos of the final impression?

And can Conrad, can you share with us the HBT uniform of the GD that you have?

Thanks,

Christian
The fighter must seek battle in the air. Luftwaffe Supplies
askhati

Post by askhati »

Necro-post rings a bell: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21069
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”