Panzer Crewman Equipment Mid War

Moderator: Feldjager

Grenadier1

Panzer Crewman Equipment Mid War

Post by Grenadier1 »

Sorry if this has been posted before in some form (I did search the forum first) but I am currently looking into putting together a Wehrmacht Panzer Crewman impression for a future project and was wondering what kit I would need that was specific to Panzer crews.

Obviously the ubiquitous overalls, undershirt, side cap and rubber soled boots with gaitors, plus the side arm and belt.

Is there anything else that I would be need?

Grenadier1
Füsilier Johann Kellerman
Panzer Füsilier Regiment Großdeutschland
http://www.germansoldier.co.uk
Botty

Re: Panzer Crewman Equipment Mid War

Post by Botty »

A tank.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
A.Weiss

Post by A.Weiss »

A.Weiß
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Headphones and throat mic?
That should give you something to save up for.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Grey rayon service shirt
Black rayon tie
Black Wool Panzer Trousers
Black Wool Panzer Jacket
Black Wool Schiffchen (M34)
Belt
Buckle
Pistol Holster
Pistol
BOOTS - Either normal "jackboots" which were worn INSIDE the trousers which were tied around the ankles of the boots and bloused over. Or Cut Down "jackboots" which were roughly equivalent to today's "rigger boots" worn with the trousers tucked in and bloused - OR...... Ankle Boots with the trousers tied above the ankle and bloused over. Now - please read carefully. Boots were usually normal issue boots. The studs could be left in - The studs were often pulled out. The boots were often resoled and left unstudded. IN SOME CASES leather soled unstudded boots had rubber soles STUCK on to them with adhesive.

This now gives you several options for your footwear - All accurate and period.

THEN - You can obtain a set of reed green denim two piece coveralls which were worn OVER the will blacks. These were also used as a summer uniform unofficially.
To perfect the impression find yourself a set of Dfh B headphones and a jmf.b throat mic to wear.

Don't go toting an MP40 about - some years ago we worked with a Panzer veteran for a display at Detling and he informed us that although they all had a pistol, they kept a wooden box inside the tank containing egg grenades and a P.38. That was the tank's main personal defence "kit" and upon stopping it was put outside on to the top of the turret and a man climbed out and grabbed the pistol and a grenade "just in case. Then the MG34 was passed out and mounted on the turret to become the air defence/ proximity defence weapon. A man was on that at all times while they were out of the tank in the field. There was ONE MP40 for the entire tank crew. He was a Tiger Crewman.

Hope to see a nice accurate impression. We used to enjoy our time portraying these Steel Knights.....

and the famous one
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

More inspiration..
Walther

Post by Walther »

There really should be more of this kind of thing :)

This is a book that's been a big help to me kamerad...

http://books.google.com.pr/books/about/ ... g4Mrx6elYC

Also beware of the difference between Heer and SS cut tunics and trousers, many have been burnt on that one.

http://www.gdrecon.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=418

Look forward to seeing it when it's done.

Neil.
Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef
Großdeutschland Aufklärungs
---------------------------------------
"When Barbarossa commences, the world will hold its breath"

Botty

Post by Botty »

There really should be more of this kind of thing
I have to disagree. There is nothing worse than an isolated impression that is out of context. I stand by my original post. If you are going to do this you need an armoured vehicle to man. Oh yes and 4 mates to do it with you.

I had forgotten the photo shoot on the king tiger. However since losing the Hetzer to 'man' I have not since worn my Panzer blacks.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Botty wrote:
There really should be more of this kind of thing
I have to disagree. There is nothing worse than an isolated impression that is out of context. I stand by my original post. If you are going to do this you need an armoured vehicle to man. Oh yes and 4 mates to do it with you.

I had forgotten the photo shoot on the king tiger. However since losing the Hetzer to 'man' I have not since worn my Panzer blacks.
Don't lose heart Mark - when we attach you to a Panzer Unit next year you will need it..... PanzerPropagandakompanie!
daveslastsummer

Post by daveslastsummer »

h,mmmm interesting..
"Occupy Everything!"

http://www.panzerkorpsgd.co.uk
feldman

Post by feldman »

You dont have to wait for you for 4 mates become interested in ww2 panzer reenactment, you might wait in vain and become an very old man.
You dont have to buy a tank / real armored vehicle.
You are not out of context, is there ww2, your accurate. Panzer guys did much more than just sit in a vehicle.

Not just tank guys had black panzer uniform.. here are Hohenstaufen signals..

Make your own vehicle and go... Inspiration: http://www.kooblekar.com/

Good luck !
Retired & Armed
Walther

Post by Walther »

I concur - let's do it :)

Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef
Großdeutschland Aufklärungs
---------------------------------------
"When Barbarossa commences, the world will hold its breath"

feldman

Post by feldman »

Nice picture Walther !

" ..Cut Down jackboots " - is it known, in average, how much they cut them down ? Length of shaft from top of sole to top of shaft ?
Retired & Armed
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

feldman wrote:Nice picture Walther !

" ..Cut Down jackboots " - is it known, in average, how much they cut them down ? Length of shaft from top of sole to top of shaft ?
No - as it was non regulation there was no regulation!!!! Look at as many period photos as you can and scour Wehrmacht Awards for pictures of original Knobelbecher. Then take them to a cobbler or a saddler with a chalk line drawn on them where you want them cutting!!!!

My experience is they were the same height or maybe a little taller than modern rigger boots.
feldman

Post by feldman »

Hoffman Grink wrote:No - as it was non regulation there was no regulation!
So true :) i just took a shot..

I have a pair of 60s east german boots, using in day to day outside activities, and they are already cut down to about 29cm, so i could experiment on those.. maybe..
Hoffman Grink wrote:My experience is they were the same height or maybe a little taller than modern rigger boots.
Ok, thanks for info !
Retired & Armed

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”