Italian Camo

Moderator: Feldjager

MarkB

Italian Camo

Post by MarkB »

Hi all,

Has anyone got any info on Italian Camo was it only issued to the 1st and 12th SS? What scale was it issued and was it for certain ranks or a case of get what you’re given!? Any info would be great!

Thanks
Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

some WH units were issused it also there was an article in the military illustrated mag regarding the anti partizan badge and showed some pics of WH guys wearing the stuff. I will see if i can find it.
Jungmann

Post by Jungmann »

I've got a picture of a Major in the 116 Panzer Division wearing Italian Camo in Normandy 1944.
Paul Jungmann
Oberleutnant
2Kp Pzr Gren Rgt Groβdeutschland
http://www.panzergd.co.uk
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

NO
Before anyone asks!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Jon Das Reich and Jungmann dose anyone know what scale it was issued to the SS?
Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

mainly 1stSS and 12thSS were issued disco pants ( italian cammo) but i guess there will be the odd piccy of someone else wearing it.

One of the SBG or KP1 guys that use the forum maybe able to give you numbers of how much was used.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Thanks jon
hitlerjugend

Post by hitlerjugend »

Hi
I am a member aof KP1
and at the moment we are debating this subject.
Basically it all depends on what batallion you were in in a particular SS unit.

Take the 12SS for example :
25th Batallion 12SS were mainly issued pea dot suits
26th Batallion 12SS were mainly issued italian camo trousers and smocks.

So i just really suppose its down to the actual batallion in which unit, on which week on whick campaign, as it will obviously vary widely!

Thanks Zac
''Meine Ehre HeiBt Treue''
12th SS-Hitlerjugend
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

Well if a unit is stationed in Italy then it is a lot more likely, but purely on a beg, steel, trade, have it made up kind of a way, especially among Officers. As for it being issued then there is really just the 12th SS, as their newly apointed comanders Nicked loads of material while they were in Italy with the Liebstandarte. Hence Leather Gear for Max Wunches 12ss Panzer Regiment, and Italian Coveralls For large parts of kurt Meyers 25th SS grenadiers. Consequently officers of both Divisions had a higher than average Quata of Tailored tunics/pants into the bargain. The 12th were also issued large Qountities of Italian trucks and other Vehicles, Nabbed at the same time.

Im pretty sure it was the 26th wearing the Peas Pattern, especially 3rd Battalion (Hanomags)

Gliderinf
Yanks LHG
Markus

Post by Markus »

Hello

The 12th wore more Italian gear than any other division, due in no small part to the fact the LAH guys brought it along and there was a shortage of "German" stuff. They were also issued with a lot of palm clump for some reason

The 26th reg 3rd battalion were issued dot, not the 25th. Most of the coveralls were worn by recce troups. I spent a few years researching this as I used to reenact the 12th.

Like Jon I've seen photos of other units wearing Italian including Heer and Luftwaffe.

Cheers all
"For the Germans the toilet is a mundane and functional item, but for the British it is the basis of an entire culture."
hitlerjugend

Post by hitlerjugend »

Hi Glinderinf and Markus
Yes sorry in all the confusion of detling i got them mixed round
25th in italian and smocks and the 26th in pea dot.
Thanks Zac
''Meine Ehre HeiBt Treue''
12th SS-Hitlerjugend
supermario

Post by supermario »

Lads,

If you want to wear Italian Camo so much, why don't you do Italian?

Units such as the Decimas Mas and Paratroops got issued lots of uniform items in this material. There was also a padded winter jacket and trouser set issued later on in the war.

Just a thought. :wink:

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I got to agree with SuperMario
Italian Camo looks better on Italian troops.
And there aren't enough folks doing Italian - Are there Mario?

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”