belt hook button configurations - correct and wrong examples

Moderator: Feldjager

fieldgrey

belt hook button configurations - correct and wrong examples

Post by fieldgrey »

greetings, gents.

what is the correct belt hook hole configs for a genuine wehrmacht army tunic, wool or hbt?
i have seen only small holes on original examples and shall now show pics...

pic 1Image
textbook in my opinion.
pic 2Image
text book correct in my opinion.

these for me are how the holes should look on an original heer tunic-hbt or wool. period.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now let me show you these other belt hook hole spacing, as found on certain current repro jackets-not all-but some.

note the different spacings and dimensions of the holes...much wider spacings and in my opinion W R O N G.- too wide.

pic 3Image
ugh-just plain wrong, too wide.
pic 4Image
ugh-too wide, wrong.

please look at these and tell me-did original tunics have belt hook holes THIS wide apart?
check yours please.

the devil is in the detail-and stitch counters only get a bad press from reenactor companies that cut corners on authenticity.

i look forward to your comments-especially if you can confirm what i have said and what i think to be true.

if you have any 100 per cent original tunics that have such widely spaced belt hook holes as shown in this second pics pair, then brrring it on, kameraden.

thanks in advance.
Sturmschar

Re: belt hook button configurations - correct and wrong exam

Post by Sturmschar »

Mr Fieldgrey please do not take this as criticism of your attention to detail, however you need to understand that the Germans had factories right across occupied Europe making everything from ME262’s to Kragenbinder. Standardisation in German wartime production was as illusive as “peace in our time” as anyone who has restored a German vehicle will tell you!
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

There are a number of photo's on ATF's website showing originals with varying spacing. SS pattern seems to have a wider spread, however whether that is luck of the draw or a genuine pattern, is hard to tell.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

as i was told recently when ordering a new LW gabardine jacket, i was the standard extra small, how may sizes are there? es,s,m,l,el and that goes generally for the hole spacings pockets etc,.also. 3 measurements and 1 week later the jacket arrived and fitted without alterations. Made in Deutschland
pepperpot
fieldgrey

Post by fieldgrey »

thanks for comments, gents.
nothing clear yet though.
id expect repro clothing makers who opted for what i consider 'the wrong' hole spacing would go for the comfy 'there were loads of different types in the war' strain of arguement.
i havent seen an original tunic yet - army again, not ss...that shows such wide belt hole spacing as i have shown in pic 3 and 4.

and so the wait will continue.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Yep ,could be years and years
fieldgrey

Post by fieldgrey »

it could be luck of the draw-good idea.
i notice with the ant-z wool tunics, some had 'god awful' ultra wide spacing btw hook holes while others had 'correct spacing'.
J H Weninger

Post by J H Weninger »

Just to give fieldgrey a generally idea of the ''correct' spacing, it's exactly 1 cm from the dead center of one hole to the dead center of the next one.
So now you know it.
fieldgrey

Post by fieldgrey »

J H Weninger wrote:Just to give fieldgrey a generally idea of the ''correct' spacing, it's exactly 1 cm from the dead center of one hole to the dead center of the next one.
So now you know it.
yes yes YES!
thanks, jh.
one centimeter....a simple piece of info...
so....all the army tunics i have seen which were original. or else all the copies i would consider authentic would have only the one centimeter spacing.
sadly i have seen an otherwise nice ant-z m42 in brown wool-but it - in my opinion - was spoiled by exceptionally wide belt hook holes-with spacing too wide to accept.
now of course reenactors may say, thats a bit too much detail to be worrying about. fine. let the over wide belt hook hole brigade march on, in their quest for 'half right' gear.
in the meantime, i hope such a thread will establish or at least help clarify that re army wehrmacht heer wool combat tunics, and most heer hbt tunics, all examples seen to date of original construction had-in the case of three circular hole configuration- the same distance - one centimeter- from the centre of one hole to another. anything wider imo just looks wrong. why? well, because o havent seen any real ww2 tunics with such spacing.

im not arguing about whether something is a hole or half a hole....
only trying to clarify what was correct spacing-in order to flag up incorrect modern day copies that have sadly in my opinion used the wrong belt hook hole spacing, for some reason or another.

if anyone has an original wool army tunic with 'wonder belt hook hole spacing' evident, id be interested to see a pic.

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”