SS Company buttons

Moderator: Feldjager

Halle

SS Company buttons

Post by Halle »

Question please - would SS soldiers have worn company numbered buttons on their shoulders during the Polish and French campaigns ?

Thanks in advance.... :D
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Halle

Re: SS Company buttons

Post by Halle »

Halle wrote:Question please - would SS soldiers have worn company numbered buttons on their shoulders during the Polish and French campaigns ?

Thanks in advance.... :D
141 views and nobody knows !?
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

in general no the company information was either embroidered diredt on the shoulder board or metal company insignia were attached
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Halle

Post by Halle »

Crazy Feldgendarme wrote:in general no the company information was either embroidered diredt on the shoulder board or metal company insignia were attached
Thanks Dave , the Heer did this with regiments , and still wore company buttons. Are you saying the SS had the company number on shoulder boards, not regiment ( like LSSAH ) ?
Crazy Feldgendarme

i would guess some did some didnt, dont forget for the france invasion ss units were ordered to remove any unit id to make it harder for allied intelligence to estimate how many units were against them. Also a lot of slip on unit id was used certainly at regimental levels not to certain about company levels but every picture of ss shoulder boards i have seen shows plain pebbled buttons
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Crazy Feldgendarme

found the book i was looking for German army uniforms and insignia 1933-1945 brian l davies isbn 1-86019-869-4 pages 26 and 27 shows a lot of shoulder boards from various units a few of which are showing numbered buttons though i must say they are not ss shoulder straps i would suggest you would need to research units individualy to confirm a few show regimental numbers sewn on the strap and company numbers on the button

https://www.amazon.co.uk/German-Army-Un ... 085368068X

dont forget though the cuff titles were the main id for regiment and divisions so why would they need numbered buttons in those units

GeFoPo
Halle

Post by Halle »

Dave , many thanks for the link and the input , much appreciated :D

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”