US and German ankle boots?

Moderator: Feldjager

Stigroadie

Re: US and German ankle boots?

Post by Stigroadie »

totenkopfverband wrote:anyway, for purpose of authenticity
Are you joking? No really, we post pages saying why these Yank boots are no good as German boots and you pull this out the bag?
Cant people use their eyes? Have they even looked at the two types of boot? Get some pictures off Google of both types, look at the details in the construction of each. Count the lace holes?
Lets go back to swede tunics and Austrian camo for the SS, it's closer to the originals than these boots are.
There is NO authenticity in using US boots as German. The Uppers are NOT the same, the soles are NOT the same. They are NOT even close to the same.
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

The low boots that RAU, Thomas and myself sold are not by the Czech supplier. If we're talking about the orange coloured ones with the shark nose. I sent him a picture of them and he said they were not his boots.

By the way, 2 Czech suppliers have appearded on the forum. Which one are we talking about???? The first one or the one who makes the FJ jump boots Thomas was selling??? THis is all getting confusing.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

So where did you get your stock from? Poland?
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

When I could get them they came through HC, don't think they were the makers though
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

totenkopfverband

Post by totenkopfverband »

Stigroadie wrote:
totenkopfverband wrote:anyway, for purpose of authenticity
Are you joking? No really, we post pages saying why these Yank boots are no good as German boots and you pull this out the bag?
Cant people use their eyes? Have they even looked at the two types of boot? Get some pictures off Google of both types, look at the details in the construction of each. Count the lace holes?
Lets go back to swede tunics and Austrian camo for the SS, it's closer to the originals than these boots are.
There is NO authenticity in using US boots as German. The Uppers are NOT the same, the soles are NOT the same. They are NOT even close to the same.
the guy obviously wants to use these on the cheap and a major area of concern is the sole if he were to do that; lace holes varied, so that's no real argument. it's as good as a postwar if the sole can be corrected, but then again i pointed out that it would just be better to get the cheap german repros (ATF) were that the case, and perhaps add another sole layer to those. you can most times make a substitute look a bit "more authentic" if you're willing to make some adjustments. I own several original and repro german lowboots, and i have seen original US lowboots up front, but i have not seen repro US boots outside of images on the net. so, sue me for not using an adjective...
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Rubbish, utter twaddle, how can you expect ever to be taken seriously as a re-enactor or have your opinions held as valued when you are happy to condone this guff and come out with this tripe?
Economy is not enough of a reason to throw standards to the wind.
The sole is a "major area of concern"? The whole of the boot is a really rather large area of concern dont you think? It being styled after an American boot that is not made the same in any way as a German one? I have never seen a German low boot with 7 holes for the laces. They did vary, but every boot I've ever seen was sporting more than 7. Happy to be shown proof that highlights this point. That would benefit more than this argument.
What about the bloody rivet?
What about the way the back of the boot wraps around, what about the double row of stitching there?
How about backing up some of these claims that they are similar? Not anecdote, real hard evidence, the plural of anecdote is not data.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
If you want to wear or wish to condone the wearing of American boots as German I really dont think you have a valid place in this hobby.
Your low standards are way below those we set ourselves, run against all the gains we have made over the years in improving kit.
I wont sue you for not using an adjective but I will damn you as a farb.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Reading with interest I am drawn to make a historical comparison - For years we could not get reproduction stuff - let alone footwear!!!!! So we made do (note the term) with Royal Navy Deck Boots. I still have a pair and they have never been questioned although the last time they were worn they were on loan to a mate about three years ago!!!!!

Anyway - on to today where ther are GOOD REPRODUCTION boots - So there is no reason to substitute anything or try to approximate your footwear. US boots are just that - I suppose the next ploy will be to suggest they have been looted from a dead GI - well research that - I think said looter would be up against a wall PDQ or sent to Kaminsky or Dirlewangler......

So - please - don't dress it up. - IF you want to do it - do it right....... INVEST in a good pair of boots and look after them.

I bought one of the first pair of RAU Low boots into the UK - I bought a tin of Ledefett and soaked them in it. These boots have lasted over 5 years or even 7 I'm not sure now - but they are ging strong - They have lost a couple of speed eyelets but are still very serviceable and have been resoled twice. They are regularly dubbined to keep them supple and they are like a pair of slippers to wear.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

I hear wellington boots are a good substitute for jack boots. Freddy Starr gave me that tip.
Cant afford a deac k98? Get a stick from the local wooded area and you can run about going 'Bang, pop, Dakka dakka!'
Not happy with the colour and cut of the available M44 tunics? Get an ATF IKE jacket? They are browner than the sturm M44. The buttons are a major concern for accuracy though.

Do we need to continue this thread? Has it contributed to the betterment of this forum and the hobby?
Andy2

Post by Andy2 »

Thank you very much for the info and opinions gentlemen.

Just to set the records straight, I am NOT a re-enactor but I DO use a lot of this kit in the field under very trying conditions, in very hot and humid tropical climates. I own and use some of the best - ie Zeugmeister or SM Wholesale - and I have actually ORDERED several months ago several pairs of shoes from Thomas, including regular schnurschuhen, DAK ankle boots and DAK tall boots. Sadly, I have only received this last item (beautiful!), and I would like to add that Thomas has quite a large amount of my money in his possession since April - without having ever delivered the goods.

Since I am tired of being ripped off and throwing money to the wind, I was just asking for considerate info on different kinds of boots, both for civilian and field use. I have always been a staunch proponent of high-grade, faithfully reproduced items (please see all my previous posts), but what should one do when these are advertised for sale and then - once paid - suddenly become unavailable?

cheers + thanks to all
Andy
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Andy2 wrote: I have actually ORDERED several months ago several pairs of shoes from Thomas, including regular schnurschuhen, DAK ankle boots and DAK tall boots. Sadly, I have only received this last item (beautiful!), and I would like to add that Thomas has quite a large amount of my money in his possession since April - without having ever delivered the goods.

Since I am tired of being ripped off and throwing money to the wind, I was just asking for considerate info on different kinds of boots, both for civilian and field use. I have always been a staunch proponent of high-grade, faithfully reproduced items (please see all my previous posts), but what should one do when these are advertised for sale and then - once paid - suddenly become unavailable?

cheers + thanks to all
Andy
Andy Thomas is Very ill at the moment and what with the problem of the Boot supplyer it has not made things any better RAU,Chris.and Thomas have all had problems with the boot supplyer
ImageImageImageImageImage
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

I think there's one question that needs to be answered to end this thread: "Where do we buy good repro german lowboots?"
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

No, that's off topic for this thread, there a number of threads running on that topic.

Buy the Czech ones, they look good to me.
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

200 pounds!!!!
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Do you want 'GOOD' boots or 'cheap' boots?
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Sheikh Al Stranghi wrote:200 pounds!!!!
My RAU boots have lasted me over 5 years thats less than £ 25 a year thats cheap
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”