Channel Islands FGs

Moderator: Feldjager

Hennig

Re: Channel Islands FGs

Post by Hennig »

Another point to think about is the fact that they are Islands , you would of most likely incountered the German marine police on occasion :wink: but good luck with your search Barry 8)
I will be at Chatham maybe in another form of FG uniform as well :shock: :lol: :wink: 8) so will be good to catch up and have a good old chin wag matey :wink:

Mike
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
barryG

Post by barryG »

Dont do sea stuff Mike!

Found a great referance document from the Guernsey Police, its written by a Police Officer who was there and is very interesting. Apparently the FGs didnt arrive in great numbers until early 1941, before that there were just odd numbers. But they were apparently quite awkward and difficult to work with, good oh!

Im wondering then that those early FGs were from the 216th Division as after April 1941 the 216th left to be replaced, and maybe thats when those FGs in greater numbers arrived? Makes sense but supposition.

At least there is some info out there, reserching the FGs of the 12th SS is impossible!
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Hi Barry.Not FG but might be of interest to you,I have a small collection of original Guernsey news papers,here is some from the start of the occupation.John
JJ.collection 014.jpg
JJ.collection 014.jpg (142.98 KiB) Viewed 5872 times
JJ.collection 015.jpg
JJ.collection 015.jpg (144.79 KiB) Viewed 5872 times
JJ.collection 016.jpg
JJ.collection 016.jpg (142.23 KiB) Viewed 5872 times
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
barryG

Post by barryG »

Very useful mate, thankyou. Found out some more, the Gestapo on the Islands were linked with FK515 but no mention of FGs but there is an FG 515 later on in the war.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Have you tried contacting the re enactment groups on Jersey.Guernsey? Mike runs the Guernsey unit and i was out there in the summer at Batterie Dolmann
graham
barryG

Post by barryG »

Got this from the Channel Islands Occupation Society after emailing them....

"The German Feldgendarmerie was attached to FK515.

FK515 arrived and established office at College House around the second week of August 1940. Hope this helps"
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

Sounds like your getting there then Barry , great news sir :wink: , good call Graham i forgot that you was out there not so long ago 8)
Barry does your impression have to be of a FG in a certain year on the Island ?
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

Feldgendarmerie unit attached to Feldkommandantur was FK515/FG with effect from 17SEP1939. This was a full Feldgendarmerie company (Gruppe Führer, 1., 2. and 3. zug plus the Troß) rather than a trupp and the manpower was significantly greater with 4 officers, 68 NCOs and 44 EM.

FK515/FG was deployed to France in mid 1940, though I have a specific reference to the Feldgendarmerie arriving in early June. They were then deployed to the CI shortly afterwards (though in what strength I don't know) and appeared to remain until the end of the war. They were directly subordinate to the Militärbefehlshaber Frankreich.

Can't find much more than that I'm afraid.

Dave
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
barryG

Post by barryG »

Thats all brilliant, many thanks to you all. Just need to work out what to put on a dogtag, and in a soldbuch now.

Mike, yes it really wants to be earlier war as I have the tunic with all the early war insignia and Simons Me109 is a Battle Of Britain livery.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

barry,
please put pics up on "show us you"
footnote, as per last year there will a living history event on Guernsey as per last year anyone wanting to go needs to contact mike on the island. its worth going out there for a week (wed to wed) , full living history, main camp in a large field, movement by truck(s) etc
Batterie Dollmann
graham
barryG

Post by barryG »

Soon as I wear it all, Ill bung a pic on. Its all a bit new at present :lol:

Id love to do a CI event but time off is the issue here. Have you a link to the event please?
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

i have just spoken to mike (guernsey) to see if he can post any more info, However it appears that despite trying to create an account so far nothing has happened. He is now going to send me details via eamil and i will post this info when received.
graham
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

Hannibal Brooks wrote:He probably had dealings with the FG as his entire family was deported to a camp in Germany (along with all the other people of English origin). When they were in transit in France, his brother panicked and jumped off their truck and started to run - the guards went mad and rifles were raised. Luckily he turned around and got back into the truck :)

Having extensively travelled to the channel islands and spent many years holidaying there in the process and visiting the enforcements i can certainy reccommend going there , you are correct that those people who were not native islanders were transported of the islands by the german command as they were seen as a threat to the stability of the island whilst the natives of each island were not, the birth rates which i have some where to hand were almost double for guernsey as for that of jersey as the germans where more tolerated there and several hundred war babies were born there and even after the war germans would return to the islands asnd channel island children would go on return trips to germany even in the 1980's.

the germans were not cruel to the islanders nor really strict either and there appeared to be a lot of give and take, nor did the islanders ever forget that they had loyality to the crown not for one moment as several died and other sentenced to death for helping british soldiers , owning radios or printing under ground newspapers in defiance.

the channel islanders are a lovely people open , honest , welcoming and very loyal to the british way of life and even faced with starvation at the closing of the war they shared their red cross parcels with the german soldiers as an act of charity and love.
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

more of battlements

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

some more documents

Return to “Feldgendarmerie”