Channel Islands FGs

Moderator: Feldjager

berlin1945

Re: Channel Islands FGs

Post by berlin1945 »

irish men on islands working for the germans
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
barryG

Post by barryG »

Thanks for that :wink:
Hannibal Brooks

Post by Hannibal Brooks »

Hi, the Royal Irish Fusiliers were part of the pre-war garrison on Guernsey. My great aunt married one of them - not one of the ones who attacked the policeman I hasten to add! He ended up fighting with the BEF in France in 1940 and then with the 1st Army in North Africa and the 8th Army in Italy. He was in an Irish unit but was actually a Glaswegian!
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

Hannibal Brooks wrote:Hi, the Royal Irish Fusiliers were part of the pre-war garrison on Guernsey. My great aunt married one of them - not one of the ones who attacked the policeman I hasten to add! He ended up fighting with the BEF in France in 1940 and then with the 1st Army in North Africa and the 8th Army in Italy. He was in an Irish unit but was actually a Glaswegian!

yes that would be correct as most irish regiments were suppliemented with scots welsh of english men who were partly irish ie in first generation irish , even in first world war the irish deth toll was smaller than is estimated as a significnt number were not native irish but descendants, not that in reality it mattered as they assimulated with the the irishness of their ancestory . heres some more photos from channel islands having been a regular visitor there for over ten years.
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach

Return to “Feldgendarmerie”