Channel Islands FGs

Moderator: Feldjager

barryG

Channel Islands FGs

Post by barryG »

Im putting together a Heer tunic for the Feldgendarme, needs to be correct for 1940/41 Channel Islands scenario. Am I right in thinking its correct to use the green hardbacked litzen on an M36 tunic, also the orange police sleeve eagle? As for the cufftitle, I have the thin cloth one in a drawer somewhere and is that correct please? Also, whats the correct positioning of the army breast eagle, some seem to have the whole item above the pocket, others have the swastika just over the breast pocket.

As for headgear, I take it a normal Heer sidecap with orange soutache is good?

Thanks, Heers all new to me!
Hoffman Grink

Re: Channel Islands FGs

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Sewing the Hoheitsabzeichen (National Insignia) above the breast pocket was often done with the lower portion slightly overlapping the pocket seam. Have never seen an explanation for it which was not anecdotal (although no doubt some official text does exist) but it seems to have been done on private purchase uniforms and possibly when a uniform has been "tailored" by the owner. Long timers would also appear to have this affectation and I would imagine (lots of supposition here) that this is what you are attempting to portray as a FG would more than likely (more supposition) have transferred from the OrdnungsPolizei or similar...... I'd go with that nice little touch Barry.

You didn't mention whether or not your tunic was standard or would have the shortened skirt which was also the mark of an Alte Hase....... That too would be a nice touch - move the skirt pockets up and shorten the skirt by about 2-4cm so that the cuffs are below the hemline. Lot of work but again is a non regulation touch that is seen often.
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Hi Barry.
Also check out Wehrmacht awards forum,they have a wealth of information on FG,photo's original uniform items,even I believe a photo of Arnie Schwartzenegger dads pay book.John
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
simondodkins

Post by simondodkins »

What particular Channel Islands scenario are you looking to re-create?
They dropped me behind enemy lines... Quite a long way behind enemy lines... Guildford actually...

You heard the latest phrase? - "Utility Nickers" - ............one yank and they're off
barryG

Post by barryG »

Jersey, 1940/41. Its with a small group over here that have a downed Me109.... so an FG to guard the aircraft. Thanks for the help, will look at the site John.
barryG

Post by barryG »

Try as I might I cant find out what FG trupp was on Jersey in 40/41. Ive found that trupp 515 was there later in the war but no idea who was there before. If anyone knows that and what infantry regiment they were attatched to it would be very helpful.

Some info saying that the 216th was there, but thats contradicted in other places!
Hannibal Brooks

Post by Hannibal Brooks »

My Dad was a young boy on Guernsey during the occupation. He had stories of a German bomber that crashed on the Island during the occupation. The local children took souvenirs from the wreck and the German authorities had to make an announcement to try and get the bits back! It doesn't sound like the FG were that good at guarding things over there :)
barryG

Post by barryG »

Nice story that, I suspect the FG were busy frattonising with the British Frauleins :wink:
Hannibal Brooks

Post by Hannibal Brooks »

He probably had dealings with the FG as his entire family was deported to a camp in Germany (along with all the other people of English origin). When they were in transit in France, his brother panicked and jumped off their truck and started to run - the guards went mad and rifles were raised. Luckily he turned around and got back into the truck :)
barryG

Post by barryG »

Wow, love to speak to people like that as its so fascinating.
barryG

Post by barryG »

I thought I had found it.... found a referance to Infanterie regiment 218 invading the Islands, then searched the 218th history to find they were in Germany at the time of the invasion!

Anyone.... pleeeease!
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

[quote="barryG"]I thought I had found it.... found a referance to Infanterie regiment 218 invading the Islands, then searched the 218th history to find they were in Germany at the time of the invasion!

Anyone.... pleeeease![/quote]

Hi Barry have you tried looking at Infantry Regiment 396 , as i know that they was one of the 1st to go to Guernsey
after Luftwaffe troops had got there in 1940

Or you have a Detachment of German Naval Gotenhafen (Marines) and a battalion of 216 Infantry Division under Major Dr Lanz landing on Jersey 28 June to 4 July 1940
Last edited by Hennig on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
barryG

Post by barryG »

Mike, you are a star.

Infanterie regiment 396 are part of Infanterie Division 216.... which was the first lead I had.
It all fits into place but the order of battle mentions no FG Trupp, the search continues.

Ok, update as there is an FG Trupp 216 but would that have been with the 396?

Also... there was a Feldkommandantur 515 which FG Trupp 515 was attached to and FK515 arrived Jersey in August 1940, so looks like two choices for that period of Summer 1940 to Summer 1941 but I cannot so far find any definate proof of what FG Trupp was there.
Last edited by barryG on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

[quote="barryG"]Mike, you are a star.

Infanterie regiment 396 are part of Infanterie Division 216.... which was the first lead I had.
It all fits into place but the order of battle mentions no FG Trupp, the search continues.[/quote]

Barry the Infanterie Division 216 had a Fg section assigned to them from 28.08.39 , it was called FG Trupp 216 (Mot) .
I am sure that a section would of been attatched to the 396 in the occupation of the island :wink: but look for positive proof before going forwards , i would expect our Dave P will have the correct answer :wink:
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
barryG

Post by barryG »

Yes, Ive found FG Trupp 216 (mot) in the Chain Dogs book.... but Ive been searching for weeks now and can find no actual proof of what FGs were there. Obviously as far as uniform insignia its not really relevant but I want a dogtag and soldbuch etc and to be able to tell MOPs who I am representing.

Thankyou for your help, Ill buy you a cuppa at Chatham in December, hopefully in my Heer uniform :shock:

Return to “Feldgendarmerie”