Tent, the product of 2010! Well for Germans anyway!

Moderator: Pathfinder Jack

Pathfinder Jack

Tent, the product of 2010! Well for Germans anyway!

Post by Pathfinder Jack »

The product of 2010! Well for Germans anyway!

2 man German Mountain Tent.

After along chase around the world trying to find this tent – we have finally done it! It has taken us over a year to track this down and again it is many thanks to Dave Page and the network for helping out with this. Some of you may recognise the pictures.......

So now we have an original mountain tent here at Pathfinder HQ and it is now in development and I think it is going to be thee tent of 2010. Why? Because it stunning, doesn’t take of a lot of room and it very light and it is different!

Funny enough and not being too much of a sad person it reminds me of my very first tent that I bought from Greenfields who were then bought out by Millets who was then bought out by Blacks. It is still at home and spent many happy nights in it when I was kid with my best friend Nick knight (no not like that).

The mountain tent is stunning, has an built in groundsheet, ventilation windows and an internal pocket – you know when someone has really thought something through as these little things make all the difference. It also has a flysheet.

The mountain tent we designed to have two upright poles and corner poles. These are made from galvanised steel. The flysheet isn’t original so out tents will all be the same colour.

In the pictures below you will see it as it is now (not my pictures but have permission to use them and the black and white picture is of them in use – yes not on a mountain but in the desert by the looks of it….?

We are working on this tent right now and will bring you updates as they come but, I for one, can’t wait to see this out at the shows!

Any questions then please just fire away.

Kind regards,

Jack.

Brigardefuhrer

Re: Tent, the product of 2010! Well for Germans anyway!

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

It looks excellent,I have an original tropical tent featured in your black and white photo's and apart from the fact my tent is made from splinta camo it is identical to your mountain tent.From an original photo of a tropical tent the poles extended about 12" above the tent and a 'half round' cross piece was fixed to the poles and the 'fly sheet' was put over that,I guess that the gap allowed air to ciculate and make it cooler.Unfortunatley the veteran who brought this tent back had the poles and pins confiscated by HM customs on his return at the end of the war and two weeks before he sold this tent to my friend he threw out the fly sheet,because his kids had 'played'with this more and ruined it.At the moment on the rare occasion I display this tent I use converted broom handles :lol:
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Caen44

Post by Caen44 »

Am I wrong or are the tents on the black and white picture also made of Splinter material?

Best regards,

Caen44.
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Nice one :)

Any indication of the price ? Just probable amount ?
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

The one on the left definitely is, the one on the right could be. Splinter versions of this tent are fairly well documented in photographs (majority of mine are from the Balkans area with a few in NW Europe). I used to own the original tent now in Jack's possession and I think it's 42 dated from memory. The only difference between the Tp and temperate version is the cloth - this version is almost like bed linen (but very waterproof as I used it several times!).

This was designated 'kleine Gebirgsnachrichtenzelt' and is 215cm long, 160cm wide and 100cm at the ridge. Somewhere I have the Merkblatt that showed how the tent and flysheet could be used. These appear in a lot of the early DAK photos, used by a variety of troop types, not just the Gebirgsjaeger.

The other advantage is that this thing used to roll up smaller than 4 zeltbahnen!
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Feldjager wrote:The other advantage is that this thing used to roll up smaller than 4 zeltbahnen!
Could you please give some details on this ? Sizing when packed ? Weight ? Could it be split into two loads ? (I presume it could just by separating flysheet/poles from tent main body).

And some formal info - at what time introduced ? late 1941 ? early 1942 ?
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Pathfinder Jack

mario33 wrote:Nice one :)

Any indication of the price ? Just probable amount ?

Many thanks Mario and the ball park price will about £50,000.......... :shock: :shock:

On a serious note, I am not to sure at this stage as there will one or two things that may make it more expensive than we want - i.e. the poles and silly things like a built in groundsheet, I know that sounds daft but it happens.

Even thou we are at the very early stages of development, my instincts are that it will be around the £349 mark.

Kind regards,

Jack.
Pathfinder Jack

mario33 wrote:
Feldjager wrote:The other advantage is that this thing used to roll up smaller than 4 zeltbahnen!
Could you please give some details on this ? Sizing when packed ? Weight ? Could it be split into two loads ? (I presume it could just by separating flysheet/poles from tent main body).

Hi Mario - I will do it right now for you, I will go and take some pictures!

Stand by..........
Pathfinder Jack

Righto - have just taken these and weight wise with both fly and tent are around 5kg. The poles and pegs are around 4kg.

The green bundle is the tent and the khaki bundle is the fly and the peg/pole bag is the smaller one.

Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Feldjager wrote:The one on the left definitely is, the one on the right could be. Splinter versions of this tent are fairly well documented in photographs (majority of mine are from the Balkans area with a few in NW Europe). I used to own the original tent now in Jack's possession and I think it's 42 dated from memory. The only difference between the Tp and temperate version is the cloth - this version is almost like bed linen (but very waterproof as I used it several times!).

This was designated 'kleine Gebirgsnachrichtenzelt' and is 215cm long, 160cm wide and 100cm at the ridge. Somewhere I have the Merkblatt that showed how the tent and flysheet could be used. These appear in a lot of the early DAK photos, used by a variety of troop types, not just the Gebirgsjaeger.

The other advantage is that this thing used to roll up smaller than 4 zeltbahnen!
My tent was captured from a German airfield in Africa,Herr Feldjager I would be most interested to know what the original poles looked like?
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Pathfinder Jack

Brigardefuhrer wrote: My tent was captured from a German airfield in Africa,Herr Feldjager I would be most interested to know what the original poles looked like?

One mo - I will go and take some images!
Pathfinder Jack

Pathfinder Jack wrote:
Brigardefuhrer wrote: My tent was captured from a German airfield in Africa,Herr Feldjager I would be most interested to know what the original poles looked like?

One mo - I will go and take some images!

OK here we go. They are very simple but I am amazed as to why wooden poles weren't used as simple as they are, they must of been both time consuming and expensive to make. The nice thing about this concept that the poles are universal so not matter which pole you pick up - it fits.

Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Thanks for the pic's Jack,as I said in my first post I think they did also make wooden poles(if only for the DAK version) in the photo I saw they looked like wood with metal ferals with spikes on top,similar to the poles you make for the US two-man tent.
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Pathfinder Jack

Folks - just to spread some post New Year cheer..........the Mountain tent sample has just arrived.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
KDF

Post by KDF »

I`m very much looking forward to having one of these...keep us posted please !
Founder member of AFRA.

Return to “Patherfinder Distribution - tents”